- 4 x 6
- 6 x 8
- 8 x 10
- area rug
- area rugs
- Contemporary Rugs
- filter-collection-Contemporary Rugs
- filter-price-1000 to 1500
- filter-price-500 to 1000
- filter-price-Less than $500
- geometric patterns
- geometrical patterns
- large area rug
- See more
Contemporary Area Rugs for the Living Room
If you have a small apartment living room or an industrial-style space, you may want to consider adding a contemporary wool rug. These rugs combine the elegance and class of hand-knotted rugs with stylish, abstract designs. Our modern contemporary rugs are then topped off with trending bold colors like a deep velvet purple, a rose coral, or a canary yellow. When surrounded by modern, minimalist decor, these contemporary rugs truly transform any living space. For full exposure of your contemporary living room rug, we recommend placing all furniture off of the carpet and leaving it to be the center of attention. This is especially true for small living rooms and apartment living rooms.
Modern Versus Contemporary: What’s the Difference?
You might think that modern styles and contemporary styles are the same. However, while there are many similarities, these two do have unique differences.
- Modern design thought to be light and bright, whereas contemporary embraces more bold and dark decor, such as this deep purple contemporary rug.
- The functionality of all elements in a room is still an important priority within a modern design, whereas contemporary styles focus on functionality at a larger scale- often room by room. Think of it as a decorative accent chair- it might not be comfortable to sit in for hours on end, but it serves a purpose to tie the whole room together!
- According to The Spruce, contemporary styles have abstract shapes that are whimsical, whereas modern techniques have sharp, strong lines instead.
How to Style a Contemporary Rug?
Imagine a sleek, futuristic apartment with steel elements, huge glass windows, and abstract floor lamps.
This is the kind of room we picture our contemporary rugs in! Many modern rugs are hand-tufted, but we believe that luxury rooms deserve luxury rugs! This collection features 100% wool rugs to add a soft, inviting feel to any sophisticated living area.